Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Erica's Top 10 Songs of 2007

Here is a list of my favorite songs that I listened to this year. I recognize that some of these were actually released in 2006, but since I fell in love with them in 2007...

I provided links where possible. Enjoy!

"Love Song" by Sara Bareilles
She's not gonna write you a love song. Instead she's going to write a catchy tune about how you don't have your act together, but if you did, she'd totally LOVE to write you some sappy homage. I kind of hope you don't get it together, so that she'll write more songs like this one.

"All Along the Watchtower" by Bear McCreary and Bt4 (really by Bob Dylan)
Specifically written for the mind-shattering season three finale of Battle Star Galactica, this song is not only my favorite bad-ass rock song of the year, but I also used it our annual family Thanksgiving movie.

"Can't Stop"/"Makes Me Wonder" by Maroon 5
These are my two favorite songs off the new album "It Won't Be Soon Before Long." I also loved "Kiwi." And "Figure It Out." You see where I'm going with this. It took me a while to get into the completely different style of this album as opposed to the last one- it's almost a 70s thing they got goin' on there. I apologize in advance for the music video- I can't help if Adam Levine is a skeezy narcissist.

"That's How You Know" from Enchanted by Amy Adams and Marlon Saunders
I cannot get over the cuteness of this song, or this whole movie for that matter. Enchanted has the magic of our old Disney favorites such as The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast, but this song has a very new magic all of its own. This movie will hopefully make Amy Adams a star, as I'd love to see more of her in the future. I especially like the back-flipping construction workers and the Calypso beat. And, as always... Patrick Dempsey's hair (talk about enchanted! How is it that awesome??).

"Shut Up and Drive" by Rihanna
Judge me not! I defy you to listen to this song and not imagine yourself on some open stretch of California road in a red Camaro, leaving everyone in the dust behind you except for that one black-and-white Ford Crown Victoria with the flashing red-and-blue lights that seems to be gaining... This song is just pure unadulterated adrenaline-rush fun.

"Set the Fire to the Third Bar"
by Snow Patrol
The first time I heard this song I couldn't stand it. I thought it was just Snow Patrol singing along with a really annoying female singer. But then I listened to it again. And again. The best word I have to describe it is "haunting." I love the harmonies on the chorus!

"Gravity" by Sara Bareilles
Sara Bareilles part 2. I would've put this together with "Love Song" but in the end decided they were too different. "Gravity" is one of those rare songs that is almost too beautiful. Bareilles has such an incredible voice, and this song is a great showcase for it. The video I found is one of those crappy camcordered concert types, but you can certainly tell how fantastic this is despite the iffy quality.

"Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol
I know this song came out in 2006, but again, just like the other Snow Patrol song on this list, I didn't like it at first. It's classic Snow Patrol, and it grew on me, especially this line:
I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own.

"Bitter Song" by Butterfly Boucher
This song is so wonderfully different from a lot that's out there right now. It has no music video, so I'm including a video made by my friend Vera which, coincidentally, she made about the same kick-ass finale that featured "All Along the Watchtower." Feel free to admire her mad artistic editing skills even if you have no idea what the show's about.

"Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood
I am such a sucker for angry girl music. Let's face it- despite the fact that she is an American Idol winner for God's sake, this is clearly a country song, and I hate hate hate country music, it rises above these limitations with sheer awesomeness. This is what Alanis Morissette would be if she had been born blonde in Texas. You go, girl.

Speaking of Alanis... Special mention to "My Humps" by Alanis Morrisette. This isn't a real song, but I can never get enough of it! Thank you for putting the dumbest, most depraved lyrics into the harsh spotlight of one of your poetic emo ballads. You make me want mo' drama.

No comments: